• Mostly 4 year schools
• Taught in the math department
• Required course for many majors
• Multi-term sequence
• Homework, but not necessarily graded
• Tenure-track math faculty
• Consider this "their course"
• Appreciate the beauty of mathematics
• Generally successful students
• Science, pre-med, engineering, physics, computer science, math
• Varied background: 20% no HS Calculus to passed AP Calculus
• Few have interest / love for math
• Generally looking for minimum work to make the grade
• Instructors: Diversity of students' math backgrounds!
• Students: Motivation, time management.