Monday, April 29, 2013
Here's a brief profile of one of my favorite math courses.
Quantitative Literacy Courses
• "Math for real life."
• "The last math course you'll ever take."
• Personal finance, understanding statistics, charts, graphs, ...
• Understanding the news, reading the newspaper, ...
• Primarily 4 year schools
• Viewed as innovative
• Satisfies minimum math requirement
• Ph.D. Math professors
• Chose to teach this course
• Often weak math background
• Happy this course if offered, chose to take it
• Instructors: Time, especially for individual attention
Selling the course to the administration
• Students: Math skills, fear of math